Friday, May 7, 2010

Offended

Today I had a most interesting conversation with The Writer. Nor for the first time at my job, I was at a loss for words. Sometime I just don't know what to make of the fact that this is my job. . .

Me: (returning to the new kitchen with some receipts as The Writer and I work on her budget, for approximately TWO hours): I just don't understand how you budget is this complicated! It seems like it always takes us so long! I have money from 4 people on my budget and it's not this complicated!

The Writer: Well, I mean you probably don't have the same kind of money coming from everywhere like me. . .

Me: I'm not sure of my exact response, but I'm pretty sure I got a bit prickly inside, and tried to rebut her calmly (The Writer often minimizes my life when I make comparisons or draw from my experiences)

Fast forward 10 min. The Writer has taken a break to make a sandwich

The Writer: I just feel like this is so difficult, I don't know if I can handle anymore today. And then when I feel offended, it makes it even harder.

Me: mmm, yea. . .wait what? offended did you say?

The Writer: well yea, I mean with you comparing. . .

Me: Sorry, I don't know what you're trying to say?

The Writer: I mean that, you were comparing our budgets saying (insert high pitched childish voice here) 'well I have four people and don't have this much trouble' and all that stuff. It was kind of upsetting to hear your opinion

Me: Sorry, I wasn't trying to be mean just stating a fact.

The Writer: Well, still. I don't know why you'd say that. . .

I'm pretty sure I just changed the subject here. Am I being blind here, was I really being mean? Is it normal to spend several hours in a day working on 1 simple budget (the same one we do every single month)?

Maybe so.

******************************

I don't usually post on Saturday's put I have lots of exciting things to share so come back tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment