Monday, August 30, 2010

Airplanes in the Night Sky

I spend most of this weekend LOST. No, not awesome lost on a deserted island with sexy doctors and con-men evading, "the others." Just plain, 'no-idea-where-I-am' lost.

I've quickly learned that this city is just huge amounts of circles winding to and fro with no real rhyme or reason. It's total chaos and being plopped in the middle of it is sort of hilarious.

On Saturday, I spent an hour and a half trying to find a reservoir that should only be about a 30 minute walk from home. I never found the large reservoir, but somehow managed to make a giant circle back toward my apartment. After walking for a little over an hour, I stopped to google the area on my phone to see what I'd done wrong. I happened to glance up at the street crossing, only to realize I was at an intersection about 15 minutes away from home/where I started! I trudged back defeated, having never found the reservoir. Good grief!

Then, yesterday, Becca and I ventured out to find a new church. The result: us driving around Cambridge aimlessly for almost 40 minutes. Again, never reaching our destination. I did, however, manage to start driving the wrong way down a one way street and pull some ridiculous illegal U-turns:0) In our defense, how were we to know that a main route over the river is closed off Sundays in the summer for bicyclists or some other shenanigans?

Despite all this wandering around directionless, I did manage to make it to the beach yesterday with a friend. The beach was right across from Logan, and so giant, low-flying planes were cruising over us all evening. It was a little scary because they were so close as they took off, but it was mostly really fun to watch! and loud!

(PS: I think we were actually going to a different beach but got a little lost and ended up here.)




2 comments:

  1. so, were you in Winthrop then?? :)

    and what church were you looking for? Hope Fellowship? i hope you guys come across it some Sunday. i'd love to hear what you think

    how's job hunting going? OH! how'd your interview go today? it's the 30th! was today the tutoring one? or another one? hope it went well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lesson of the day: always Google map whenever you go ANYWHERE- I still do so. Lesson 2: Always use public transportation! Google maps will give you public transportation directions in their options- its super helpful!

    ReplyDelete