Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Lock Down

First let me apologize for the somewhat boring post yesterday. I don't even know why I bothered. Clearly, the heat was melting my brain.

I think I'll more than make up for it momentarily, however.

Let me just preface this by saying that today was quite possibly one of the most ridiculous days of my life (I can't be entirely sure, since I often have pretty crazy days).

It began calmly enough, with a leisurely "work-from-home" morning. I woke up an hour later than usual, had a delicious breakfast of waffles, and (surprisingly!) even did some work.

I meandered out the door in time to arrive to work for 12, and was pumped up listening to the 80's lunch hour on MIX.

Fast forward ahead about 1 hour. I'm blowing down the road in my bosses car this time, on my way to C-R auto shop to get her oil changed, while she's out with a friend from New York.

As I've mentioned before and you can clearly see, the assistant part of my job is slowly being downgraded to housekeeper/carkeeper. (5ish more weeks!)

I follow the directions that The Writer gave me and arrive at an auto shop, alright but not C-R. A call to The Writer reveals she, of course, gave me the wrong directions.

Armed with new directions in hand, I pop back on the highway and am off. Several minutes later I reach my destination blow in to the office and ask the guy at the desk about an oil change.

He basically laughs in my face and tells me that (although The Writer claims he did) he would never have told someone to come by without an appointment and he's booked until next week, but why don't I take a card, thanks!

Another call to The Writer, and she gives me the names of 3 other places to try out. Umm. No.
Instead, I got on my phone, got their numbers and called to confirm that in fact you NEED AN APPOINTMENT!

I the returned home to find, for the first time in the year I've been working for The Writer that her front door is locked.

Unable to find a spare key, I call her up AGAIN and tell her the door's locked

"Well how'd that happen?!"

Ugh, gee Writer. I don't know, I've been driving around for the last HOUR AND A HALF trying to get your oil changed.

Long story short: We're locked out.

After picking her up in town, The Writer and I return, where we realized the only option is for her to wriggle in through a window that is cracked open less than a foot (good thing she's rail thin!) despite the fact that she's wearing a short dress and severe pain because of a stomach bug.

I got quite a show. Not that I ever wanted to see this particular show.

I'm laughing out loud right now, just thinking about this day. How do I even get myself into these situations. And JOBS, no less. . .

2 comments:

  1. how in the world did you not tell me about this crazy day as we walked the track tonight?! i understand we were talking about some other important things...but seriously Katy! too funny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your life really IS a joke :) At least it provides some amusement for others! You must be elated by the fact you only have a month left with the dear writer! I still really wish I could meet her, but alas I will not be stateside before your glorious day of departure...

    ReplyDelete