Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Tiny, fake fir trees and snow flakes that glisten

     Christmas shaped cookies , and warm woolen mittens

          Wrapping my presents while Old Blue Eyes sings,

               These are a few of my favorite things. 

This evening has driven me to writing songs! Sorry, Maria, I mean no disrespect to your version. Frankly, though, I don't really like cats all that much and I like my package wrapping to be just a tad more flashy. . .

Seriously, though, one of my favorite parts of the holiday season is evenings like this. I get to snuggle up at home, wrap gifts, and belt out some of my favorite Christmas tunes. Seriously, how amazing is it, that Christmas is basically the only holiday that has an entire repertoire of songs that only come out once a year, and never get old no matter how many times you've hear them? So classic. 

Not to mention, I actually love wrapping presents. I love getting square corners just so, and fussing with slippery bows until they are perfect. I love arranging tissue paper and choosing what paper fits each persons personality. Basically, what I'm saying is, if you ever get too overwhelmed with all the holiday hubbub, I'd be happy to wrap your gifts for you. . .for a fee. Come on, a girls gotta make some Christmas cash somehow!

In honor of this most glorious time of year, and my recent "caroling" I've compiled a list of my top 5 Christmas carols for you all. In case your jonesing for some Christmas cheer and need some help!

1. O Come, O Come Emmanuel. (Definitely, the best song of the season from the arrangement to the lyrics.)
2. Carol of the Bells (Celtic Women, espesh)
3. Santa Baby (Eartha Kitt's version is far superior to anything else out there!)
4. Christmas Waltz
5. Do You Hear What I Hear?

This is such a short list. More realistically I'd have to give you like my top 20. I mean what about Mariah Carey, because all I want for Christmas really is you. . .

Alas, I'll stop here because I could just go on gushing forever. I exhort you to action, however. Go listen to some classic Christmas tunes. Brush up on your 12 reindeer, show Frosty some love, or just settle in for a Silent Night. Whatever it is, get to Pandora now and get you some Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. "When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
    But a miniature sleigh, and EIGHT tiny reindeer."

    My dear friend, I believe it's you who needs to do some brushing up.

    Dasher
    Prancer
    Comet
    Donder
    Dancer
    Vixen
    Cupid
    Blitzen

    I count EIGHT. Throw in Rudolph for a ninth if you'd like, but his addition surely doesn't bring us to a dozen.

    Thinking perhaps of the 12 days of Christmas? 12 Lords a Leaping?

    Keep listening to your Christmas tunes :)

    ReplyDelete