Tuesday, December 7, 2010

It's Tradition!

Yesterday, at work, I was having a conversation with a coworker about traditions that different families create surrounding Christmas. I love that everyone has their own special moments and activities that mean Christmas for them.

Do you have special events or things that you and/or your family do as part of this wonderful season?

One of the traditions I've loved that my mother started was this: each year she would buy each of us kids a new ornament that fit our personalities or hobbies or whatever was special to us at the time.  Now when we decorate our trees we already have a box full of meaningful ornaments that bring back so many fun memories.

I hope if I'm blessed with little ones that I'll remember this wonderful tradition and make it happen for my kids. 

Another of my favorite things that we've always done at Christmas is stockings! Even now that I'm 23 years old, I still get so excited for my stocking on Christmas morning. Presents are great, but my mother always made a point of buying complete surprise gifts for our stockings. Fun cosmetic products, candy, and any number of fun little items. And of course their was the CD or DVD we inevitably were coveting that season or year. 

I still love that stocking tradition and it's another I want to carry on for my children. 

What is it that is so satisfying about traditions that we create? I'm sure I don't know but I want to keep them coming, that's certain!




No comments:

Post a Comment