Thursday, June 16, 2011

You make me proud, Boston!

39 years. 

It  has been 39 years since the Bruins won the Stanley Cup. Until last night that is. And even though I didn't watch most of the game (I had the last period on to at least keep abreast of the situation), I was absolutely thrilled as the time clock ran down the last 45 seconds while the score stood at 4-0.

I won't pretend that I'm a diehard hockey fan or sports fan in general. I've never painted my face or gone shirtless at a game with the Bruins "B" painted over my entire body. I'd never heard the name Tim Thomas until the playoffs began and while I know the names of the Boston teams, I couldn’t really tell you much beyond that.

Still, there is something so inspiring about living in a city that eats, sleeps, and breaths their teams every win and loss. I grew up in a small CT town that still bemoans the loss of their beloved Hartford Whalers because after they left, we had nothing. My high school was tiny and lost just about every football game they played, and I went to college at UMass, a school not exactly known for it's fanatic school pride (although I was actually an intense UMass hockey fan and quite fanatic about THEM. . .Marty Nolet, anyone?) So, you can understand why team pride has never really been my strong suite. I never had a reason to show it!

Now that I live in Boston, however, I love the change in pace. I love that yelling "Yankees suck!" at top volume anywhere at anytime is acceptable (maybe not in my office) and will elicit raucous cheers from all over the place. I love knowing it's a game day and what sport just by the sheer number of people wearing B's colors whether it's navy and red, black and gold, or green and white. I love that grown men will cry in the street over a win or loss, without a thought. I love that when I say I'm from Boston, people don't say "Oh, where's that?" they say, "Oh, you're a soxbruinspatscelts fan" and it MEANS something. Boston is a community held together by their sports teams win or lose. There is a camaraderie here that is so unlike anything else. And even though I'm a non sports loving clueless girl who can barely keep her NFLs and NHLs straight,  I love that just by living here I'm part of it. 
Lookin' fly with my free Stanley Cup T. . .obvi

 

So on Saturday, I will go the championship parade, and I will cheer with the best of them and join in in the excitement because for once in my life I'm part of a place that cares. That has pride in where they're from and wants the world to know! I've always wanted to live in a place like this, and now that I do- I have a reason to be a crazy fan, I don't intend to waste it!

No comments:

Post a Comment