Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Let's hope I don't snooze through the Scooper Bowl

A mere 9 1/2 months ago when I began my job in downtown Boston, I thought it would be difficult to get in the rhythm of getting up early in the morning. Coming from an incredibly lax working situation where I either barely had to roll out of bed before 8:30 or was working from home in the morning, I wasn't sure how I would handle getting up at 6:30 and having to be somewhere important.

Amazingly, the change never presented a problem for me. I've never been a snoozer, so 6:30 would come, my alarm would buzz and I'd be out of bed in an instant ready to greet the day! OK, that's a lie. More like, my alarm would start bleeping in its obnoxiously high pitched tones, and I'd slap around to get it to shut up before heaving out of bed and into the shower. but anyway, the point is, I got up right away.

A few months ago, though, this bright eyed, bushy tailed exuberance faded faster than you can say "honeymoon stage over." My alarm would strike 6:30 as chirpily as ever, but after smacking it into submission I would languish in bed for 10 or 15 minutes before finally getting my act together.

I really enjoy getting up earlier than needed in the mornings and having time to read with breakfast, relax, and not feel rushed. Or at least I used to. This new sleeping past my alarm phenomenon seems to suggest those days are long gone.

At some point I had the idea to set my alarm for 6:40 thinking the extra time would get me back to myself in the morning. Umm. No. It just resulted in 10 minutes less in the mornings. But then I started to think maybe it wasn't so bad to not have as much time in the morning, even though things are much more rushed. So, that led to my latest move: 7:00AM is my new wake up time folks. It's pretty rushed since it gives me only one hour to do everything (although, now I've started bringing breakfast to work. . .)

You might be thinking that at this point I've reached a happy medium. Well, so did I. Until this morning, when my alarm went off and I considered if it was possible to get up at 7:15 and not be late for work. Thankfully, my better judgement won out and I got myself up immediately!

soon enough I'll be getting up just in time to run to the train, bringing my clothes to work along with my breakfast, and showering there. . .eek!

******** 
 In totally unrelated news, this Jimmy Fund fundrasier (that's a doozy) called the Scooper Bowl has been going on right under my nose this week. It's just a huge area cordoned of where you pay admission and get a bunch of ice cream samples. Could this possible be a little bit of Heaven on Earth? Yes, yes I think it could.

No comments:

Post a Comment