Tuesday, June 28, 2011

An Ocean and an XBox

Last night was the second half of my cake decorating class. It was pretty informative, especially because we were taught how to make those beautiful icing roses made with a rose nail. My attempts were super sloppy and sad looking (especially compared to the classmate who turned out to be some sort of rose making genius!) but I love that now I know how to make them. And since my grandmother just gave me a rose nail this weekend along with some other funky vintage baking stuff, I can now practice! She also gave me the most incredible molds for royal icing or chocolate. I can't wait to try some out, especially this one little baby boot which is adorable.

After learning some techniques last night we were set loose on our cakes to just have fun and experiment with the different tips the instructor had available. I went for a summery water theme and I'm pretty sure a 10 year old could replicate this without any problem, BUT check out that professional looking shell border on the bottom! The instructor told me I was a natural (patting myself on the back now. . .heh heh). Although that was before she started teaching me the roses, so. . .
 

 This weekend I also got super ambitious and decided to make my brother an XBox360 cake for his graduation party. The idea in my head was WAY more advanced than the talents I currently possess, and also deciding to decorate a cake after an electronic that is basically just a giant whitish box with light grey accents means the cake isn't all that exciting in the end (especially when you forgo the fondant to save some money). . .who knew?! I was, however, very proud of my controller, seen below sitting on top of the Xbox cake (a.k.a giant white square).  
 

It was going to say that I'm all "caked out" for awhile, but actually, I kind of have a hankering to bake something. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment