Monday, June 13, 2011

I seemed to sail away

We raced back to our car looking like drowned rats. Hair plastered to our heads and clothes soaked. My brothers feet sunk into two ponds inside his sneakers while I wildly tried to confirm that my floral dress wasn't completely see through from the rain. Once inside, we all groaned aloud, knowing our  ride home was going to be a soggy, uncomfortable one. Still, it all seemed worth if for a fun adventure in the rain.



Two hours earlier, I had set off on a river cruise in a 84 ft sailboat, the Argia with 60 or so other people despite grumpy looking skies and imminent rain. My Grandmother is turning 80 this Wednesday, and to celebrate her birthday my Dad's side of the family gathered for lunch and a boat ride in Mystic, CT this past weekend. 

Lunch and boarding came and went without a drop of rain, but as we hit the open. . .err, river, things became more and more ominous. About an hour into the cruise, the rain started. My aunt had, blessedly, brought along some delightfully fashionable ponchos. Especially, since once the rain started, my brother took back the sweatshirt he'd been letting me wear, and I only had a tiny cardigan over my spring dress (I know stupid choice for a afternoon sail).

At some point, I can't be sure when since I couldn't hear or see much around my poncho, Captain Amy announced we were turning back since the storm was worsening. Thank you, Captain!

From there on out things proceeded to get crazier, as we headed home into the wind. Rain pelted us, streaming through any open spots in our ponchos. The boat churned and at some parts was tipped pretty far over for such a big sail boat. More than once comparisons to Pirates of the Caribbean were made by various groups on the boat. It was our own little sea adventure, which we got to enjoy way more than the crew who had to race around lowering and lifting sails. . .and the poor soul who got tangled in a quickly dropped sail. hah. 

A few people, my grandma included, headed below deck to wait out the storm, but some of us decided we were already soaked, so why not stay outside? We chatted and tried to keep our ponchos under control while making up stories about one of the crew members, Isaac, and laughing at the group of drunk women who were downing Corona's as if their lives depended on it and having a grand ol' time. 

Soon enough we were docked, soaked, and ready to head home to a warm shower and some dry clothes! But, frankly, we all decided it was a much better adventure than just sitting on some sailboat with the sun beaming down getting burnt to a crisp and drinking some beers. I mean, seriously, everyone does that. This was way more memorable!



No comments:

Post a Comment