Wednesday, June 29, 2011

water, water, everywhere

For a few weeks now, my roommate and I have noticed that our dishwasher is growing increasingly louder and angrier every time we run it. It hasn't been used in over a week now, mostly owing to the volume it washes at but, last night as I headed out to exercise, I decided I'd pop it on so it could do it's work and make it's crazy noises while I was out of the apartment.

It seemed a little funky and wasn't making much noise but I left it and figured I'd see what happened when I got back. 
An hour later, I got back from working out to see that the "drying" cycle was just about done, but the washer was still suspiciously quiet. When I heard it click to off I opened it to the bottom filled with hot water that had not done anything but sit there. ugh.

Since I didn't want it to sit there all night and get gross, I started to bail my dishwasher out with a cup. I couldn't get all the water out, just then, so I did what I could and left it for the night.

~~~~~~~~
 This morning, I woke to the sound of water gushing somewhere in the apartment. Bolting out of bed, I ran into hall expecting a flood in the kitchen, but the sound was coming from the bathroom? It took only a second to realize for some reason, in the night, the toilet had started running of it's own accord, and wasn't planning on stopping anytime soon. I removed the top, jiggled the part that usually makes it stop. . .nothing.
Thankfully, it wasn't flooding, but I was worried about how much water was gushing out of the hose and worried what might happen if I left it like that while I was at work. Finally, after jiggling and flushing it a few times, it stopped on its own. Thirsty from such a stressful few minutes just after waking up, I headed into the kitchen filled up a glass from the counter and took a big gulp.

Then stopped.

"Where did this glass come from?" I wondered. My water glass from the night before was sitting on the table and everything else was in the broken dishwasher. In a moment of pure insanity I connected the glass and the running toilet and somehow concluded someone broke into the house (give me a break! It was 6AM, and I'd gone to bed reading a crime novel!) while I was sleeping.

I took another sip of water as I thought it through and then it hit me.

This was the glass I'd been scooping the dishwasher water out with.

After tossing the water and giving a little wiggle of disgust, I decided I was done with this apartment and headed out for a morning walk. Seriously, I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.

Thankfully, no one broke in to use the toilet and drink some water while I was out. .  .






1 comment:

  1. Frankly, I'm not quite sure how you get by with me out of town.

    ReplyDelete