Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Yum!

What a sweet treat I have to share today! Ok, ok that was really lame, I just couldn't help it. . .

You may be aware that one of my favorite pastimes (and hopefully, one day part of my income) is baking and more particularly decorating cakes and cookies. A few months back, a friend and I had realized we had this in common and decided to take a cookie and cupcake decorating class together.

We booked a class with Sweet Alternatives in Natick and had been looking forward to it ever since. Last night, we headed out full of excitement to the class, ready to learn some fun things!


As is the tone of my life, things turned harry for just a moment, but eventually got back on track!

I'll start as Heidi and I pulled off the highway. After quick detour through the Natick Collection for some food for Heidi (by the way that mall is enormous. I've never seen one around here quite like it) we headed off looking for some sort of bakery or something on the main road. A few minutes later, we turned onto a snow-filled, dark, narrow residential road and arrived at what was supposed to be our destination. We were confused and a little freaked out, but after double checking the address, and making a phone call to the woman running the class we were assured that the class was in her home and we were on the right track.

"oh, great" I thought, "this is going to be a total waste of our time with some old lady who fancies herself a baker."

Boy, was I wrong! This woman is professionally trained, was a pastry chef, and has lived and worked in both New York and Boston. Currently she focuses mostly on wedding cakes, and was a fantastic teacher and a total gold mine of information about where to buy materials since there's not very many good places in Boston, what it takes to run an in-home novelty business and, of course, how to do some great decorating. I was so thrilled with the class and had so much fun, it was wonderful! I definitely want to take more classes and continue growing my knowledge on all of this. Talking to her made me really feel like this is something I could do. And the cherry on top of it all was when she announced she came from the insurance world. Like me! Ah! so happy.

Here are some pictures from the experience, I can't wait to continue experimenting and to buy a few fun tools to make everything even easier!

*also, you can check our Linda and her work and classes here.

















No comments:

Post a Comment