Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Sidewalk Shimmy

It was a dreary, rainy day in Boston today, but I can't say that I minded because it melted some of the snow. Thanks to all the glorious winter weather we've been having, the chaos of this city has ramped up about 10 notches. For a time, traveling became something of a nightmare as snow piled up in the streets and on the walkways. Roads that just a few months ago were 2 lanes suddenly were basically one lane. Those famous Boston Massholes found themselves in a whole new kind of pickle as they tried to navigate their crazy streets. Thankfully, I generally take the T (as you know) so I was spared some of the drama. some. . .


After all this snow, the sidewalks are, much like the roads, a whole other delightful experience, somewhat akin to snow forts. Tiny little footpaths burrow through the snow that is piled, in some cases, shoulder height, precariously balanced and frozen into solid white, shining masses. One misstep and your done for, effectively blocking the entire path and pissing off any one behind you. The passing scenario on the sidewalk is like some sort of strange dance. you see someone coming from afar in their puffy parka and you start to mentally prepare.

"OK, you think, I'll sidle to the right while holding my bag to my chest, and standing on my tippie toes." 

You see a similar concentration your partners face as they approach and the dance begins. But then, without warning they make a sudden move to the right! You're rhythm is thrown off as you try to correct to the left.  Limbs akimbo, they also swerve left after realizing they've blocked your move. You stand your ground and force them back right. You squeeze in your stomach and mash up against the snow wall as you and a complete stranger make full body contact (thank God for those winter jackets!). Just when you think this will never end,  they've popped through the other side. The dance is done. You begin picking your way back over the slush and frozen snow. But wait, what's that?  

A man with a dog approaches. . .

PS: I really do love winter. And despite all the crazy snow and my THREE PAIRS of decimated (and now leaky, bleck) snow boots/shoes, I wouldn't have it any other way!

Also, here's my roommate. This picture is unrelated to the above post. She's just really cute and I thought I'd share her:)

No comments:

Post a Comment