Thursday, February 17, 2011

Nightly News

A brief anecdote from my day:
As today was so nice here in Beantown (I really don't like when people call it that . . .) I was excited that as I went on my usual walk during lunch, I would only need a light jacket (and, as it turned out, none at all!) Just after I stepped out of my office building for my walk, I approached a man who was awkwardly loitering outside of the building next to mine. He was talking to a giant advertisement of two of the female newscaster for channel 7. As I came closer, he saw me and started towards me. Not wanting to be mean I smiled and thought that would be enough. Not so much.

"Come here for a second" he gestured, "which one of 'em do you think is better looking?" he asked.

"um, I--" I begin.

"The green eyes are nice on that one, but the other one is Armenian!" he exclaims with exuberance.

"I do like the green eyes" I tell him, and really I did, but I'm not really in the practice of judging billboard shots of women and their attractiveness. . .

He looks expectantly at me, then back at the board. then he started to try and say something. Then he gets out "God Bless your family! There, that way I can get away with saying that stuff!"

"ahaha ha" is my response as I edge away from him. After another hasty smile, I speed off in the direction of the common.

"How strange" I thought, but as I began my walk, I found myself pondering if she wears contact or if that's her real eye color?" good grief.

No comments:

Post a Comment