Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Yes, I cried like a baby during Titanic

Last night, I finally had the pleasure of watching the movie Inception (only about 8 months after everyone else in the United States). I can't remember the details surrounding this delayed viewing but for some reason, it just never worked out for me to see it until now. If you're thinking this will be a movie review- you're wrong.

I wan to talk about Leonardo DiCaprio. First of all, do we know if that's his real name? I guess I could have googled it, but I might not have liked the answer so I forewent that possible disappointment. If it is his real name, however, kudos to his parents. They must have predicted his future fame!

I've been trying to remember my first introductions to Leo. I never watched Growing Pains, but I do remember his boyish good looks in What's Eating Gilbert Grape. Say what you will, but I think he does an excellent job in that movie. Of course, though, what came to mind immediately was the role that rocketed him to incredible fame at a young age: Jack in the Titanic. Every girl (and probably most of you guys) reading this remember the intense emotional experience that movie was. I legitimately sobbed through the last hour or so. I was totally heartbroken knowing that Jack and Rose would never be together. Celine could sing about hearts going on all she wanted. Jack was dead and no amount of intense chest pumping during the chorus would bring him back!



In a haze of teen stupidity and pretending we were cooler than we were, shortly after that movie I'm pretty sure people started calling him Leonardo DiCrappio and snickering  at the depths of our comedic genius. But really, I feel like Leo is one of the few child stars that somehow made the transition into adult roles and acting look effortless. He went from a gawky adolescent guy to a classically handsome, well dressed man with some incredible acting skills. I feel like I overlooked him for many years after the melodrama of Titanic, but when I think back to the many movies of his I've enjoyed I'm so impressed. Catch Me If You Can, Romeo and Juliet (I know, pre-Titanic--don't tell me your heart didn't melt during the scene with him and Claire Danes eyeing each other through the fish tank. Holy teenage hormones. I definitely teared up during that scene. . .a few weeks ago), Shutter Island and several others. 

I remember a year or two ago he was nominated for TWO academy awards and at first I was surprised but then I realized it shouldn't be a surprise. For almost two decade this guy has been churning out incredible movies and looking dang good doing it (minus the weird unkempt facial hair faze). Leonardo DiCaprio is back on my radar especially with this latest offering and I have just one thing left to say:


I'll never let go, Leo. I'll never let go.
(come on, you totally saw that coming)

4 comments:

  1. umm...i HATED Rome and Juliet. but i LOVE Leo. and yeah, thats his real name..Leonardo Wilhelm DiCaprio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I used to dismiss Leo myself, but he really has become one of our best actors. The Aviator was great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen all of Titanic. I feel like I missed out on an intense teen developmental stage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love him too. Agree with Dave about The Aviator. The Beach was great too- he's very sexy in that movie.

    ReplyDelete