Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The World is Words

Do you ever have those days at work where there is nothing to do? 
 I do.

You sit there, and sit there, trying to look official and busy but really, you're just on Facebook on your phone or typing out an email to someone is word so it looks more "work related" until you quickly copy and paste it into Gmail later when no ones looking.

Or maybe you just have a more relaxed work environment and no one really cares what you do or when as long as the work gets done. People definitely look the other way at my office, but given my new desk position (I was recently promoted) I'm in clear view of both of my direct managers and the VP of my department. Eek!

So on days like today, when I'm so bored I literally fall asleep for a minute until my head jerks back and I nearly fall out of my chair, I decide to write. I write about lots of things: major life dramas I need to work out on paper, how I'm feeling that day, letters I want to send to people, angry drafts of letters to Kohls corporate regarding their recent indiscretions, etc.

Recently, things took a more creative turn, and I wrote a poem. An awful, hilariously bad poem. But in the stupor of my work day, as I tried to stay awake an look engaged in some important insurance business, I thought it was pretty good. I was wrong. But I'll let you read it anyway. Because I like you:)

The world is words
each atom a letter
this great cosmic asteroid
rotates on Cs and Zs 
each revolution around
the impatient sun
an 'A' baked clean
I can pull a xylaphone out of the ozone
an elephant from the earth
The world is words
and I must write them down

I know, I know. You're gasping for air right now at the profundity of the words. You want to start name dropping and raving, and emailing me accolades. It's pretty great right?
 
 I mean seriously, where do I come up with this stuff?




2 comments:

  1. I liked your poem (and your blog post)!

    So glad you have been really consistent at blogging!

    ReplyDelete