Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I'm not addicted, I can stop any time I want

I'm in love.
 
Ok, maybe that's a bit strong. I'm in intense like, in a "hey you're really cool wanna hang out and stare at each other for hours" kind of way.
 
It was fate really, a sort of kismet. The story really began in 2007 but has been gaining momentum until now.  

"Who's the lucky guy, K?" you're wondering as you read this. And the reality is, he would be super lucky. I mean, sorry that was totally immodest. I'd be the lucky one. But he'd be luckier (just saying. . .) 
 
We're getting off track here. Jeez people, you're so easily distracted, this isn't about a man, lucky or otherwise.
 
The story began in 2007 when Amazon released its first generation Kindle for $399. Obviously, I was a poor, innocent little college student and had little to no knowledge of the world of e-readers. In fact, I didn't even pay them much mind until I moved to the city and started sneaking glances at peoples' Kindle's and Nook's on the train. They were all so calm, collected, and reading away as I tried to wretch a book out of my purse without elbowing anyone, getting the pages wet, or generally causing a fracas on the T.

 Post-Christmas, on a high from a crazy deal I got on a camera, I decided to go ahead and purchase the latest Kindle. I've had it for less than a week and I'm already pretty convinced it's one of the best purchases I've ever made. It's so tiny, easy to take around, and it's like being in a book store 24/7 (sigh).  I've already had to limit myself to a book buying budget each month lest I spend all my money on ebooks and have to resort to living under an overpass by the Charles begging for money from people for a Kindle fix!


Today was my Kindle's first outing on the T since I finally got in a lovely case for it so it will be nice and safe knocking around in my bag. It was the most amazing feeling getting on the train sitting down and shimmying it out of my bag without disturbing anyone around me or having to make a production out of it. The girl sitting next to me perked up when she saw me flip it on, and was definitely over-the-shoulder reading with me. I fought hard to keep my smile to my self, as I was her few short weeks ago. "Read on, girlfriend" I thought, "and then get yourself online and get you one of these babies. You will not be sorry."

Some parting reflections:

1. Yes, I did use the word fracas in this post. 
2. In case you ever wondered, Pyrex is not indestructible.  I proved that this evening when I managed to shatter a hot baking dish with a mere drop of cold water (that Ziploc bag's fate was just as grim). 





2 comments:

  1. this is the second pyrex to bite the dust in the short time we have been roommates. the first was my own doing, so i'm glad the tally is even now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is the funniest post you've ever done

    ReplyDelete