Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Unlisted

I'm actually writing this post as I sit at work today, pretending to be busy whilst partaking of my 2nd Diet Snapple since noon and listening to Taylor Swift (please, don't judge me. She's fun). I'm also looking at a piece of bubble wrap I somehow acquired and wondering how obnoxious it would be if I started popping it throughout the next 2 hours. pretty obnoxious, I'm guessing. 




Today, I realized something that was slightly horrifying. First, I'll let you in on the secret to my many successes (haha) I'm a list maker. I love making lists: shopping, to do, chores, etc. and since I have an endless supply of pink index cards and post-its at work, my habit is constantly being encouraged (Let's face it, who DOESN'T like making lists on pink index cards??) The problem is I've noticed lately that I've been making more and more lists that never get done, or continually get pushed off to the next day, and the next, and the next. Or I make a list and then lose it and so I have to make another one, but I can't remember everything that was on the first list. To make up for it somehow, I just add more things to the current list which will also inevitably be lost.

"Why is this so awful?" you wonder. 
I'll tell you. 

I used to work for a character called "the Writer" One of my jobs with said writer was to help her prioritize her day and help her manage her time (she kind of sucked at that part). since I'm a list-lover, I implemented liste making into her daily schedule. Thus began the habit each morning of spending upwards of an hour making a completely unrealistic list of things to get done for the day. If we were lucky we'd get about one thing done on the list, if she didn’t' lose it first (sound familiar) and we'd have to improvise. 

I would get SO FRUSTERATED leaving every day knowing that list was sitting there collecting dust, and not any close to being done. More than the 'making of the list', I like the 'crossing off all the items on the list'! but it appears that I'm becoming the writer. making lists for no reason, never getting anything done.

Last night I blatantly defied my list and spend over 2 hours watching one of my favorite French movies A Very Long Engagement. I think I need to put that movie on a list of ones I need to own. . .

Or maybe not.

Do make lists  to help organize you day? do you cross things off on them? 


2 comments:

  1. i make a list for every single day! a straight line for what i finish and a curly line for what i didn't. that way everything gets crossed off. sometimes i add things to the list after i've done it just so i can cross it off right away. haha. yep. i like lists.

    and don't forget the main street list for every season! we crossed off 'make snow angels' yesterday. glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure I have a bootlegged copy of that movie that you can have, lemme double check.

    ReplyDelete