Monday, November 29, 2010

For The Birds

As I prepared to head to bed last night, I had this odd sort of foreboding. I mean, I was returning to work after a 4.5 day hiatus and it just seemed natural that maybe tomorrow would be kind of chaotic.

I wish that word covered it.
At 6:30AM my alarm goes off, to my great confusion. It takes me a moment to understand what that heinous noise is, but from the recesses of my memory (from 4 days ago) I recall what that sound means. GET UP! So I do.

I hop into my shower, cursing the crap water pressure and wonder when the plumber's coming. After a mediocre shower, I head into my room wear I decide upon one of my least favorite outfits ever on the basis that it's clean, and functional. A mere half hour later, I enter the kitchen deciding to kick this morning up a notch with a nice fried egg sandwich for breakfast. I'm excited and everything goes as planned until the moment I whisk the egg from it's carton. I gently crack it against the edge of the counter and as I go to open it. bam. raw egg explosion.
Raw egg everywhere. Down my shirt, pants, counter, stove. Hello, Monday.

Skip ahead to mid day, I leave lunch early and set off for City Hall where I hope to rectify a sticky situation involving my new resident parking permit which seems to have the wrong license plate number written on it. My lunch break ends at 1:00, so you can imagine my sense of urgency as I step up to the counter at 12:55. Determined to make it through, I explain my plight to the service person and hand over my registration. Service Lady takes a gander at my registration at which time, she points out that my parking permit has the same license plate number as my registration. That's funny because the license plate the RMV of the great state of Massachusetts gave me is a completely different number. How does that even happen?? Ever so helpful, the lady encourages me by telling me the $40 ticket I got as a result of this fiasco will easily be erased upon my fixing this little snafu with the RMV. 

I, of course, have no time to dwell on this because it's 1:01 and I have to get back to work so I can continue training the new employee no one told me I'd be taking under my wing, despite the fact that I've only been at this job for 3 months.  

I'm laughing as I write this, because, really, there's nothing else to do.

In the spirit of the past months tender, thankful moments. I'm going to let all this roll off my back and think thankful thoughts. Trains came on time today, the city hall employees were surprisingly very friendly, and my Christmas tree is up and decorated.

Photobucket



1 comment:

  1. When I read the intro this (from Facebook), it reminded me of the time I was determined to hard "boil" an egg in the microwave. I tried several times, and the last ended with me covered in hot, but still raw egg.

    Hope things in general are going better than today!

    ReplyDelete