Monday, July 23, 2012

Crafty Summer


There is nothing quite so soothing and inspiring as the piny, pungent smell of a Home Depot. It thrusts me back in time to other trips, buying basement doors and bathroom fixtures with my parents as a kid, while riding on the flatbed cart under the disapproving eagle eyes of orange clad employees. Every waft of lumbar soaked air makes me feel like I could build a house singlehandly, with my bare hands

Last weekend in a fit of crafty zeal, I decided to make a mason jar vase wall hanging. I'm usually one to buck trends, not succumb to them, but this vase idea was just too darling to pass up! 

I checked some tutorials, made a list, and headed off to HD, feelin' good. Despite not having been there in quite some time, I imagined myself to be of hardy, Home Depot stock. Someone who could stroll through the automatic doors and know exactly where I was  going. Hose clamp? check. Mending plates, screws, scrap wood? check checkity check. I got this, friendly Home Depot employee with the orange apron and back brace. Don't even worry about it.  

Except, I didn’t actually know what a mending plate was used for (still don't, unless you count mason jar crafts!), so all the well labeled aisles in the world couldn't have helped me with that one. And a hose clamp. . .?  

Blessedly, every employee in that place is dying to help you, so after some wandering around trying to look confident and collected, I gave up and let them do just that.

This might have been one of the easiest projects I've ever taken on. Literally, the most challenging part was picking out the color of the paint for the wood mount. And painting it took the longest too!

Here are a few pictures of the process, and the finished project! I have some excess wood lying around waiting to be crafted into something else fun. Perhaps another trip to The Depot is in store? Hooray!


No comments:

Post a Comment