Thursday, July 5, 2012

KatyInTheKitchen: 4th of July!



Turning on the oven is just about the last thing I wanted to do this week. Boston's been having some hot weather and our little apartment doesn't exactly enjoy nice air flow. Nonetheless, I wanted to make a special sweet treat for a cook out yesterday. Immediately, upon offering to bring dessert, I knew I was going to reprise the strawberry cake recipe I'd made this spring for a friends birthday.  And what better excuse for some delicious baked goods than a Fourth of July cook out?!

This recipe uses freshly pureed strawberries and lemon zest for a sweet and tangy zing. Add cream cheese frosting and blueberry garnish and you have a red, white, and blue treat perfect for a patriotic affair!

If you'd like the recipe, check it out here. I changed things ups a bit, using more lemon zest, no food coloring and tweaking the cream cheese frosting to my own tastes. It's definitely summer-y, delicious, and worth a bake!



No comments:

Post a Comment