Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Vineyard Eats

 Upon arriving at the island, I wasn't really expecting anything to crazy when it came to my culinary experience. I basically expected to eat a bunch of chewy fried seafood and call it a wash. 

 On my first night, E and I headed over to Sharky's Cantina for some nachos and cocktails. We are what you might call Nacho Enthusiasts. And while we have the lockdown on the best of Boston, we wanted to see how MV compared. Umm, total win for the island folks. Best nachos of my life. Boston can't compare and I'll be dreaming about those crispy chips for a long time to come. 


Those nachos were followed up by Eileen Blake's Pies, a little island secret. Eileen's gone now but her family continues the tradition of selling her amazing pies in a hut in the middle of nowhere on MV.  E and I settled on a peach raspberry pie and made sure to grab some vanilla ice cream to go with it. Nothing says summer like sitting on the porch of a beach house idulging in some still warm from the oven pie and ice cream. 

Friday evening, we made our way to Lambert's Cove Inn the oldest inn on the island for some fine dining thanks to a gift certificate passed onto us. We both indulged in the restaurants version of kobe beef. Beer feed, classical music listening, spa attending steak. It was like melt in your mouth butter, perfectly cooked and served with truffle potato croquettes and grilled asparagus. I know you're already drooling and waiting for a picture. Unfortunately, this was not the kind of establishment where one whips out ones camera or smartphone for a photo. Far be it from me to be that person. Instead, you can enjoy this cheesy photo of me creeping by the Inn's sign. Almost as good, right (I mean, I listen to classical music sometimes and drink beer sometimes, too!)? 

There were delightful sandwiches and bananachocolatechipwalnut pancakes from the famous Black Dog Tavern. and for our final evening: Local lobster and scallops! I'm not a huge lobstar fan, but man those scallops were buttery soft in a pool of butter and cream sauce.



And that amazing burger up on the right? That would be grilled in the backyard to sweet perfection by E and I on Saturday night. It was the crowning achievement of all my grilling adventures. Well played, Martha's Vineyard, well played.

No comments:

Post a Comment