Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Vineyard Vines


Orange freckles of light pooled over the Atlantic Ocean, the sun a fiery ball peeking under blue and pink clouds as my ferry chugged it's way into Oak Bluffs on Martha's Vineyard. I was joined on deck by dozens of other breathless spectators as we hesitated to head downstairs to wait to disembark as directed. The scene outside was far more enticing.

As I stepped off the ferry Thursday night, I immediately spotted my friend Elissa waiting for me excitedly at the bottom of the dock. She had been on the Vineyard all week and I was joining her for my first official Vineyard weekend!  

Our days were filled with delightful adventures including a 12 mile bike ride (during which I realized the old adage "it's just like riding a bike" is total crap. I haven't ridden one in forever and I was quite a spectacle, I assure you. . .thankfully, no one was killed.), beach trips, amazing food and the satiating goodness of just being by the ocean (we could see it from the house).

My favorite part of the trips might have been the last day. We decide to drive across to the west end of the island, and I was shocked at the difference. Gone were the touristy shops, restaurants and inns. Instead as we wound around one of the few island roads we were surrounded by stunning farmlands, brush fields, and tree hung paths. At each turn the ocean sparkled in the distance; tiny boats bobbed in the sun. I felt like I was back in France, winding along the Mediterranean. Moments like these are when I know why the word "breathtaking" was invented. We saw the Aquinnah cliffs, a true marvel, and finished the night watching the sunset over the ocean at Menemshah. As I write this, I'm longing to be back there. In the wild, overgrown thick of that side of the island. I still can't believe it existed.


As always some scenes from our trip, and tomorrow, I'll be blogging about all our gastronomic delights , of which there were many!

  



No comments:

Post a Comment