Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Reading List

This maybe the most obvious statement I've ever written on my blog (I doubt it) but I love to read. I love the imagination it takes to write a story, the cleverness of combining words together to make something beautiful and lasting. It's brilliant, really. Sometimes, when I'm reading a book someone will pair some words together in such a beautiful way that I just want to cry(and sometimes do).

As such, every once in awhile I find myself in this sort of dilemma.  I start reading so many books at the same time, that it becomes a little overwhelming.

This is what has happened to me most recently as I'm involved in reading 5 different books at once. It crept up on me over the course of a few weeks. I started finishing a book I've been sitting on for awhile, started reading a new book with someone, downloaded some free fiction on my Kindle, and then started reading a book at the behest of a friend. 


 It's gotten to the point now, where I've actually made a schedule about what books I read when. It's a little ridiculous really. One for before bed, one for the first half of my commute in the morning, one for the second half and also the ride home. one for reading at breakfast, and one for reading on the weekend.

Everything was completely thrown off, however, when I didn't get to read before bed last night. So I decided to read that book at breakfast, but I was running late so barely read any. Then I got on the train and without thinking read my second half book the whole way. I'm out of control!! What's next, reading my weekend book on a Wednesday? The audacity!

you maybe be wondering why I don't just set some of the books aside, get through one or 2 and then move on to the next.

The answer: I simply can't. I like all the books I'm reading. They are full of wise words, thoughtful ideas on life and they are growing me (they are all nonfiction but one) I want to know what they all have to say and I want to know now.

Maybe it's just the stubborn competitiveness in me that's causing such craziness, I don't know. I'm starting to feel this low grade stress that's prompting me to finish these books. Maybe that sounds terrible to you? For me, it's the way I operate best. I'm hoping to knock 2 of them off the stack this by this weekend, and then I think I'll be at optimal book reading potential. Three books, one for morning, noon, and night, or something along those lines.

Since I've gone totally rogue today and am out of whack, I wonder what I'll read before bed tonight. . . it's anyone's guess!

1 comment:

  1. EEK Katy! You posted this and didn't give the list of books you are reading. I'm hanging off the edge of my seat here...

    ReplyDelete