Monday, May 9, 2011

Goodnight, Moon

Do you ever have those nights where you're laying on the couch all comfy, reading and watching TV? At some point, your eyes begin to droop and you start to have a half dream about your comfortable bed. You try to pry your eyes open and think about how lovely it would be to get into said bed, but suddenly the bathroom seems 10 miles away. 

You know by the time you brush your teeth, wash your face, and take out your contacts, you will be out of that comfy half slumber and feeling a little more awake, and the feeling of crawling into bed will be jut a little less satisfying. So you lay on the couch for another 5, 10, 20 minutes wishing it didn't take so much energy to get ready for bed, wishing that your bed was in the living room and that leaving your teeth unbrushed and face unwashed wouldn't be gross.

My senior year of college I came up with an ingenious solution to this problem. Late into the night I would just be on the couch with my laptop playing spider solitaire and listening to music (the picture of a glamorous life, clearly). Sometimes I would want desperately to go to bed, but it would require so much work that I would just continue playing away until the wee hours of the morning. 

It was getting out of hand, so I came up with a plan. After getting home from whatever was going on that night, even if it was only 7 or 8 at night, I would get in my PJ's and basically get ready for bed and then just hang out. That way, whenever I was tired, I could just go fall into bed.
Now, there were some flaws with the plan. For example, sometimes I'd be ready for bed at 7:30 and someone would stop by the apartment for a visit and I'd look like total crap. Actually, that was really the biggest flaw now that I think about it. Also, my roommates took great pleasure in laughing at me and my antics (nothing new there though). Or sometimes I'd be busy doing whatever and would just forget about the plan until I was back in the late night conundrum again. Mostly though, it was a fantastic idea!

Why am I sharing this, you wonder? Hmm, no particular reason except that thinking this again made me laugh, and I thought it might give you a chuckle too. Alternatively, perhaps this little piece of bedtime wisdom won't completely revolutionize your life? For all I know, you've completely stopped reading this and are busy brushing your teeth and slipping into your Spongebob jammies so that in 3 hours time, when you're longing for you bed, it's only a few shorts steps away.  
 
you're welcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment