Monday, September 13, 2010

Sit Down!

I normally like to share ridiculous situations with you that I get myself into, but today, I'd rather just share with you the ludicrous T ride I had on the way home.

First off, let me just give you some context:

I leave work at 5pm everyday along with like 3/4 of the city of Boston. I also work downtown about a 3 minute walk to Quincy Market, etc. etc. Every tourists destination in the city of Boston.

Thus, when I leave work and hop on the T to head home, I'm usually sardined on the thing with dozens of other weary commuters and sweaty, lost tourists. Getting a seat is a major score (one which I managed today!) and everyone else just clumps around, trying to keep a hold on something so as to avoid taking everyone else out if it's a particularly bumpy ride.

Today, after charging past everyone and sitting down with the hopes of taking a little nap on the way home, I watched a girl lumber onto T and squeeze herself amidst the other folks right next to my seat.

She appeared somewhat agitated, but otherwise was fine for the first few stops out. Then, after a particularly bustling stop, this girl apparently decided it was totally appropriate to sit down. In the aisle. Among all the people jockeying for even half an inch of personal space.

And there she sat, while people literally had to climb over her, squish around her, and take out other people in order to get past her to the door. Evidently, she was completely unphased by the fact that she was a)generally in the way of the 300 hundred people packed in a 2 inch space, b) was a total hazard. I mean what if there was an emergency she would be trampled to death and probably also cause other people to die from getting stuck behind her.

Everyone on the T, including myself was incredibly confused and mildly horrified, and frightened a tad. No one bothered to ask her to move. In fact, a wide berth formed around her, despite lack of space, so that strangers were literally slammed up against each other to avoid being too close to her person.

I've never been so glad to have managed a seat on the way home from work as I was today.

(Oh, she did eventually move when a seat opened up and she crawled (??) over to the seat and sat down.

Even when my life isn't a joke. . .it still kind of is. . .

1 comment:

  1. Katy acted this out for me when she got home and it was pretty ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete