Thursday, August 16, 2012

T


Day One: After the train arrives at my stop aproximately 20 minutes later than planned, the massive crowd that has gathered to catch the T clambors on, jockeying and pushing each other for a spot. I find myself crammed into the corner. I have to reach across my body and hold the pole awkwardly because my other hand is stuck to my side. Just as we're nearing the final stop (my stop) we come to a halt. Several minutes go by before we're informed that someone is seizing in the front car. I struggle to have compassion on this poor person as I text my boss that I'll be late. Finally the seizing woman is removed and we make our way to the second to last stop where it's announced the T won't be going on to my stop. I hop off and begin a ten minute speedwalk to my office. I arrive somewhere around 9:25.

Day Two: I leave my apartment early and go check on my car which I had to park somewhere potentially sketchy the night before. Secure that I have't been towed, I head up to an earlier stop than usual, assuming that will secure me a seat on the super crowded train. After missing a train by a mere minute or two, I proceed to wait several minutes for another one to come. It's packed already, somehow, but I make it on and we're on our way. We are chugging along a painstaking pace. The T is full but keeps stopping at the stops where people stand in the doorway, apparently imagining if they block the doors from closing long enough, space will magically open up and allow them to sqeeze on the train. Just as I begin to get concerned we'll be late once again, the conducter announces that he's been instructed to offload the train. As in, 100 plus of us must pile off and wait for several trains to pass us by before one is "empty" enough of rush hour bodies to fit anyone on it. Once again, I'm late to work. This time, by only about 15 minutes.

Day Three: I leave the house early. determined to be on time for work at least once this week. It's pouring rain, and the T is late, as usual. I make it on, though, thankful to be in out of the wet world. A few stops later, the girl seated next to where I'm standing and I glance up in startled confusion as we are splashed by several water drops. The T is leaking. I'm able to avoid most of the falling rain. Seated Girl uses her umrella and August Marie Claire to shield her white lace dress from the drops that fall everytime we brake. It doesn't stop, even after we're underground and out of the rain. I arrive exactly on time to work

Day Four: I leave on time; the T comes on time. A disabled train underground slows our surprisingly quick pace to a crawl over the course of 4 stops. Miraculously, I arrive to work with about a minute or two to spare.

Friday?

No comments:

Post a Comment