Tuesday, August 7, 2012

London 2012

I think it should be a rule that we all shut down to watch the Olympics for the whole two weeks that they're on.

Let's not think about all the ridiculous implications that make this seem impossible. 
Our bartender whipping up some
Olympic  themed goodies

Instead, let's imagine a world where we can watch every glorious, triumphant, scandalous, and heartbreaking moment in real time, no matter where the action is taking place. 

Two weeks ago, on a Friday night, The Games of the XXX Olympiad began in London and as is my Olympic custom I've been obsessed ever since. 

On the eve of the Opening ceremonies, a small (ish) group of fellow Olympic enthusiasts joined me at my home to enjoy/make fun of/pick apart every detail of the ceremonies in high fashion.

There were Olympic themed drinks, desserts and, don't be jealous, but I may have fashioned some Olympic rings out of office supplies I borrowed from my esteemed place of business. 

apple pie tartlets. Go USA (and the rest of the world)!
Since then, I've spent many an hour this last week and a half glued to the TV. In "real life", I actually couldn't care less about sports. I don't know a point guard from a half back. Baseball is sleep inducing, and I generally just don't get the point of team sports. 

But the Olympics. 
Oh, the Olympics. 


 Maybe it's the romanticized idea of a world united by athletic competition. Or maybe it's just that NBC is a really good advertising machine. Whatever it is, it has me hopping around my living room at 11:45 at night cheering on Michael Phelps to his 19th Olympic Medal. And getting heated over a fencing match at 8AM on a Saturday morning between two people I will never think about again. I'm sleep deprived and medal crazed and watching Misty May Treanor and Kerri Walsh dominate the beach volleyball semifinals as I write this.

I love these games. 
(Now, who's going to go to Rio with me???)


No comments:

Post a Comment