Monday, August 13, 2012

Family Fun


A wall of musty carpet odor slammed into my face as I stepped into the movie theater. The rainy day had apparently made it's way inside. Just as we stepped into the corridor, the lights dimmed completely and the movie started. My mother, sister, and I stumbled over each other, as I led the way to find seats. Eyes unajusted, I strained to make out anything useful. I made the snap decision to walk down the center break in chairs and use the stairs at the far end, to be out of most people's way. We trailed along down the center blindly and reached the end, but there was no stairway! Instead, two rows of chair couplets, kept us stranded at the bottom. Struggling to mask our laughter, we felt our way into seats, my sister forced to sit by herself in front of us.

Rained out of a planned afternoon at the beach, the three of us had decided to stop at a theater on the way home and see Hope Springs, the new movie starring Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones. Our ridiculous entrance into the theater after arriving a bit late, was made even funnier when, as we left, we realized we were probably the only three people under the age of 55 in the theater.


These are the kind of shenanigans that took place this weekend while I had a lovely mini break from the city visiting some of my family. 
photos courtesy Emily Veronica Photography

Being back in CT where I grew up, I realized I had the privelege to live in a charming, quintessentially New England town. All weekend I kept exclaiming at the trees, and farms, and stone churches. No doubt to the confusion of my mother. I never appreciated the beauty of miles of old stone walls winding through lush green fields before. It always seemed empty and stifling as a kid. Now, I can't get enough. Seeing horses or cows grazing in the fields gives me a thrill every time!
I feel I should mention that my little bro was around too, but he had to work and missed all the photo shoots!


No comments:

Post a Comment