Monday, October 31, 2011

My not so happy Halloween


Today I was home recovering from being a sickie all last week and after a lovely fall walk, I decided to make some pumpkin bread. I've been dying for a delicious loaf of pumpkin bread for weeks now, and recently made some of my own pumpkin puree. Each year, I usually just pick a basic recipe that sounds good and play off of it, adding some of my own spices, and whatever sounds good to me. Tonight I made a plain loaf with some ginger and a chocolate chip loaf. 

The whole time I was mixing ingredients, they all sat out on the counter waiting for their turns to be added. I stirred and folded the batter, greased up the pans and poured in the mix. All with this nagging in the back of my mind that I was missing something, but ignored it, . 

The batter seemed a little watery, but I popped it in the oven and began cleanup. About a half an hour into the cook time, I decided to check on the bread as I got dinner ready and when I opened up the oven, I was horrified. Both pans of bread were bubbling and boiling, with a dark grainy sheen on top. One word echoed in my mind in that moment.

Flour.

flourflourflourflourflour. 

I never but any in! The main ingredient in any bread! I rushed back to my computer and bring up the new list of ingredients. Surely it wasn't my own error, but that off this faulty new recipe. I scanned the list once. twice. and there it was.

three cups all-purpose flour.

After mumbling a few wordsthatshallremainnameless aloud. I stomped over to the oven ready to have a full blown baking temper tantrum. My pumpkin bread. . .ruined! All that fresh, handmade pureed pumpkin down the drain! 



And so I did the most ridiculous thing anyone would think to do. I took the pans out of the oven and added flour into them in some desperate attempt to have some dang pumpkin bread. Is that to much for a girl to ask! 

I knew it wouldn't work, and I type this, the bread is now in the oven, confused and flat and looking not very much like bread at all. 'Tis a sad day in my house.

Especially because in addition to ruining an entire batch of bread. . .I burned my chicken meant for dinner while dealing with this whole no flour fiasco. I don't even care. I'm eating them both.


2 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud at the image of you stubbornly adding flour into the ruins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha it was such a joke! Some of it's still sitting in my fridge. I refuse to waste it!

    ReplyDelete