Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Officer, I'm Innocent


After returning home feeling rejuvinated from my baking fiasco last night, I decide that I need to put together the turkey chili I plan to throw in the crockpot for dinner tomorrow. As it's already after 10, my goal is to get everything together as quickly as possible so in the morning I can just turn my slow cooker on and not have to worry about anything else.

First things first, I get the turkey browning in a pan and start straining some dark red kidney beans. Around 10:20, just as I'm opening the pepper to sprinkle some on the turkey, I hear an urgent tap at my living room window. 

Now, this may seem odd in general but it's actually not so out of the ordinary. You see, our buzzer in our building doesn't work and since we live in the ground, instead of calling we encourage people to just tap on our window and we'll come let them in. 

Still, given the late hour, I look over at the window in confusion and see a huddled form there and the light of a what appears to be a cell phone shining. Another urgent bang sounds on the window.

Still unsure of who's outside (could it be my roommates brother? Or perhaps a friend who lives nearby?) I open my front door cautiously and walk up the steps to the main doors. With a start, I realize that there is a policewoman standing there looking rather harried.

For a moment, I freeze on the stairs, feeling guilty. Except, it's not like I've done anything wrong. . .that I remember. So, why is a policewoman tapping on my window at 10:30 at night? Regaining my composure, I leap up the stairs and swing open the door. She enters with a woosh of cold air, her gold badge gleaming in the hall light.

"Thank you!" she exclaims, gratefully and holds up her cell phone.

"Umm, you're welcome. Do you--" I start not sure what to say to an officer of the law. . .
"I don't know wants wrong with my roommate, she doesn't answer her phone!" she starts apologetically.

For a moment, I don't realize what's going on, and then it slaps me in the face. 
It's Halloween

This woman lives here and is dressed up like a policewoman, and locked herself out of the building. And I am a complete idiot.

"Ooooh, no problem!" I say a little to loudly, my laughter a little too bright, "have a nice night!"

I whirl and head downstairs and she runs up thanking me again. Reaching my door, I close it and give a small hiccup of laughter, and head back to the sizzling turkey on the stove.

I can't even believe this day just happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment