Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Behold the "Free Collections"

Several months ago, you may remember a certain post about the new Kindle I had purchased.

Since that time, it has proved to be one of the best purchases I've made this past year, providing some great entertainment during my morning and evening commutes. 

When I was first initiated into the Kindle world, I started buying up the books that I'd had on my list forever, but hadn't gotten around to reading. One thing I didn't count on, however, was that just because the the books are discounted, doesn't mean they didn't still cost money. 

Thus began my introduction to the world of FREE COLLECTIONS.

Kindle has a whole selection of books that are $0.00. It's amazing. Just click on a book and it's on your kindle, for nothing!

There's just one little caveat. These books aren't free because they're best sellers, or because everyone loves them. No, they're free because no one would actually pay for them. I find that these free books usually fall into three categories:

Bodice Rippers

Christian Fiction

Best Seller Wannabe's 

Now, as tempting as is it to read a book entitled Raunchy Ranglers (oh wait, not that tempting) or indulge in one of the many BR's in the "Passionate Embrace" series I generally steer clear of these more unsavory varieties.

And Best Seller Wannabe's are usually Wannabe's for a reason. Terrible prose, confusing plot lines, and atrocious dialogue. 

So this has left me with the Christian Fiction subset. More specifically, Christian Fiction Romance. That's right folks, 9 times out of 10 I spend my mornings on the T reading sub par Christian fiction romance novels about  spit fire, hard working women who tame the rough and tumble mountain men through prayer and a modestly attired but no less attractive figure. And often as not do it with just as much awful dialogue and plots at the BSW's. Sometimes, I actually get a little embarrassed on the T thinking of the people that are reading over my shoulder. 

"You don't understand!" I want to tell them, "I don't have any choice. I'm on a budget, and David Baldacci and Michael Lewis just aren't an option right now. Try me next month when my budget restarts!" 

But yesterday as I was reading a nice little number about a maid working at the Biltmore Mansion, I actually thought to myself, "Hey, this is kind of cute!" and not only did I read it on the T, but I read it when I got home, and before going to bed and was excited to get back to it this morning. 

I don't really know what to make of this new development, I may have to break the bank a little and buy a Best Seller. Something, anything other than a christian fiction romance for free at the kindle store. To prove a point. 

Although, I think this latest book is part of a series. . .

I mean, not that I'm planning on reading the others if they exist. obviously. 


No comments:

Post a Comment