Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Sleep Tight

For as long as I can remember I've been a fantastic sleeper. 

First, I can sleep through just about anything:  loud talking, TV, thunderstorms, etc. I slept through the only earthquake ever to hit my sleepy CT town in (I think) it's entire history. The old joke that "she could sleep through an atomic blast" was pretty much written about me.  

Not to mention, I can fall asleep anywhere. If I'm tired, I'm going to sleep; It doesn't really matter who's talking to me, what we're doing, or where we are. I fall asleep just about every day on the train, I fall asleep frequently when watching movies at people's houses (even if I don’t know them that well. . .) and sometimes even in the middle of conversations.

My favorite scenario for falling asleep: Being in a room full of people I know well, snuggled up under a blanket with a movie playing or just talking going on. I love falling asleep to the sound of people talking. I love the way, when you're almost asleep, you can't really make out specific words or sentence, you just hear the soothing cadence of voices rising and falling. I guarantee you, 99% of the time, you put me in that situation, I'll be out in 5 minutes flat. And I DON'T snore. (I do, however, groan a lot in my sleep which used to freak people out during sleep overs.

Imagine my surprise then, as over the last few weeks my amazing sleep skills have gone for the hills. I've come up with various reasons for this distressing turn of events: our apartment is sweltering at night (building controlled heat), the new neighbors have a very fussy one year old in the room that abuts mine (fan noise fixed that), I'm on my computer right before bed (apparently that keeps your brain overactive which causes loss of sleep), etc. No matter the reason, though, the reality is, I can't sleep.

It's awful, tiring, and no amount of convincing myself I really am tired and should sleep seems to work. Instead I just lay there. Cursing my MIA sleeping skillz. With a "z." 


Tonight doesn't seem like it will be any better, given that it's 10 pm and I'm eating salsa, on the computer, watching TV and drinking lots of water. And it's like 70 degrees out. Translation: I'm basically engaging in every activity you're not supposed to engage in while trying to regulate your sleep. 

No rest for the salsa eating, computer working weary as the old saying goes. 




No comments:

Post a Comment