Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Colorado Bound

I've been a tad quiet on the blog front lately, sorry folks!  Part of the reason is: I'm going to Colorado in T minus 1 day! On Friday, I'll be working (almost) my full day and then heading straight to the airport to hop on a flight. I'm going to visit a dear friend from college Sarah and her husband Jordan at their home there. I'm super pumped because A) I've never been to the great state of Colorado before, B) I will get to see the city, home, etc of my friends who moved out their just after college graduation and their wedding. C)It will be wonderful to spend several days just catching up, relaxing, and enjoying each others company.

CO will never be the same once I'm through with it and, I imagine, it will return the favor!

(this will obviously be me in a few days)
As with any major trip, the major hurdle always comes before you even get on the dang plane: packing. Not only do I have to make decisions about how many nice outfits to bring, which shoes to bring, and creatively figure out how much I can pack in a carry on, but CO is notorious for a little something called unpredictable weather.

Growing up in New England, we were always learning to recite the old quote Mark Twain about NE, "if you don't like the weather, wait a minute, it will change."  Since hearing about the weather in CO, however, I often wonder if Twain was misquoted by some well meaning New Englanders and was really talking about the Rocky Mountain State. I hear tell the weather can change from sunny and 75 to spring blizzard without warning.

While this doesn’t dull my excitement by any means, it does mean packing just became a little bit more challenging. Layers are key, but that also means you could pack endlessly and never feel like there are enough layers. I'm up to the challenge, though, I think. I've long prided myself on being able to pack a great deal of "stuff" into the smallest of bags. Puffy 3 season vest, rain jacket, nice tops in case we go out-- no problem. I laugh in the face of a packing challenge, basically.

Unfortunately for me, though quantity doesn't always mean quality. Sometimes in my packing zeal I forget the most vital pieces of clothing. Once on a family beach trip to Maine, I forgot. . .my bathing suit. And I pretty regularly forget to bring PJs when I'm staying over somewhere. Or worse yet, once I totally didn't pack any underwear for a trip! Thank God for Target is all I have to say!

oh and ps, this is all despite my enormous packing lists I'm so fond of making before trips, listing everything down to the number of bobby pins I'm going to bring. Maybe I just get a little too lost in the packing details and forget the bigger picture, who knows.

Hopefully this glorious trip will be an exception and I'll find myself fully stocked for any occasion that should arise. Or at least be near by a Target. Actually, that's a requirement whether I need some last minute supplies or not. . .

1 comment:

  1. Oh I hope you have a fabulous time visiting Sarah and Jordan. Do give them a big hug from me! :)

    ReplyDelete