Monday, April 25, 2011

Happy Easter (belated)!

Whether you chose to celebrate or not, you probably know that this past weekend was Easter weekend, beginning on Good Friday and culminating in Easter Sunday yesterday. Easter is one of my favorite holidays of the year. Although it has definitely become commercialized, it still holds fast to it's roots celebrating the resurrection of Jesus and I'm happy for that.

However, there is still a huge amount of people who spent the days before Easter in a candy induced craze in Target fighting over who's going to get the last packet of mini Lindt chocolate carrots or peanut butter cup eggs (love those!). 

I made the grave error of deciding on a run to Target Saturday for random essentials and also a bag of Starburst jelly beans I'd had my eyes on since I saw them on sale their several weeks ago in preparations for Easter. A friend and I fought our way through the candy isles until I located the originals (apparently now there's also only red, sour, and who knows how many other varieties of those delicious beans). 

After extricating myself from the chaos, I vehemently vowed that my children would not even know what an Easter basket was, let alone get one. But. . .then after telling my younger sister this, we were reminiscing of our own Easter basket getting days. They were kind of fun. Sidewalk chalk shaped like eggs, anyone? And also, who doesn't need a little jelly bean pick me up now and again? Plus we got baskets AND knew the real meaning of Easter, which is a nice compromise. . .so I've already given up on denying my children that little part of their kidhood.

Also, my mother might have (definitely) given us some treats for Easter this year, even though we're all grown. Now, how would I explain that to my future, basket-less kiddos. Exactly!

goofing off with the sibs, (as usual)!


No comments:

Post a Comment