Thursday, April 7, 2011

Death and Taxes

What a crazy week it's been! I can't believe that it is already Thursday, frankly. The days have flown by with alarming speed and the date of the calendar today brought my crashing back to reality with the fact that I STILL have not filed my taxes. 
Some of you are tsking at me as you skip to the bank to deposit your refund check while others are just skimming this quickly thinking, "Oh, S@#t! I totally forgot about taxes!" If you're like me though, you've been thinking about them for quite some time, have used HR block's handy dandy federal tax filer and were about to move on to state taxes when your productiveness hit a stand still (3 weeks ago. . .)

I've been trying to identify what is is that causes me, every year, to be in a race against the clock as April 15 (or 18th) approaches. It doesn’t make any sense because the earlier I file, the faster I get a refund, and the sooner this will all be behind me until next year. That's all great until I look at the forms for MA state tax. The basic form would be no problem if I hadn't been both a non-resident working in MA and then a part year resident in MA this year, and if I hadn't switched Health Insurance, and if there weren't approximately 80 extra schedules to file because of all of this. And I can't even do it with an online program because of all the extenuating circumstances. So, instead I'm left trying to make sense of schedules and charts that might as well be in Greek for all I can understand them with smoke literally blowing out my ear.

Oh, did I mention I also have to file taxes in the state of CT? Kill. Me. Now.

 Also, as a cherry on the cake, I just read an article yesterday on CNN that said if the federal government shuts down us late filers may not be getting a refund check this year. who knows if that's going to happen, but I'll be royally pissed if it does. 

Ok, sorry. My fiscal year 2010 rant is done. I'm going to head off and bake something. Instead of doing my taxes. . .

What?? How can I get anything done if I'm too tense and stressed!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment