Thursday, June 21, 2012

Part Three: The Tow

I just wanted you to get a picture of how stressful this whole breakdown situation was. Clearly, I'm barely surviving. . .

 Oh, sorry, where were we? Ah yes, Dan the tow truck man had just motioned Nicole and I into the truck. We hiked up into the cab and I wiggled into the middle, where it became apparent I'd be resting my feet on some sort of battery pack box the whole trip. I didn't have a seat belt, and said a quick prayer that we'd make the two hour (tow truck time) trip back to Boston safely. 

I'd be lying if I said that it hadn't crossed my mind that Dan might be some sort of serial killer who preyed on innocent young girls when their cars had broken down along the coast. My fears were allayed, however, once Dan placed a called to his wife as we got going. You know, since there's no way he could have faked that. . .

As we headed on our way, I started to wonder what we were going to talk about all the way home.  Do you ask personal questions? Thank him every 3 minutes? Just stay silent?  Turns out, Dan was a friendly guy full of stories about towing boats to the Florida Keys and other fun adventures had at the helm of his truck. Whenever he has to take long trips, his wife goes along and they have themselves a little mini vacation. 

We became so comfortable with him, we even joked with him that we were glad he wasn't some crazy axe murderer. We all chuckled jovially about what a nonsense idea that was as we chugged along toward home. 

Despite the sweltering heat inside the truck, Nicole and I enjoyed being so high up and having a clear vantage point of everything around us. In fact, when we got a little turned around in Boston, we were level with a group of duck boats that were driving by and enjoyed a few moments of their tour for free. And they quacked at us!

Finally, we made it my mechanic and after some finagling of the truck, got Betsy snuggled into a space while I filled out some paperwork to leave for Fred. Just before he departed, I asked Dan if he'd take a picture with me for my blog. He obliged, and even asked me for the address! So, Dan, if you made it to KatyDidWhat, thanks for making our tow experience so pain free! We appreciated it!

And here are just a few more fun pictures of Betsy getting hitched to her ride home. All photos in this post are courtesy of the lovely Nicole T, my travel companion on this fateful Sunday afternoon!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks Dan for getting my KatyDid home safely. Great series Katy! Loved it! Mom

    ReplyDelete