Friday, June 15, 2012

Without a Trace

At 7:43 AM, I awoke with a strange feeling. Call me Ms. Clavel; I just knew something wasn't right.

I stepped out of my room and realized the problem. My sweet roommate, Jenna, never made it home last night. Not entirely disturbing, given she's a grow woman and there are lots of plausible explanations for her absence. For a normal person.

After getting a glass of water, I sent her a quick text to make sure she was OK and headed back to snuggle in bed to enjoy my day off.  But I couldn't fall back to sleep. My years of watching Without A Trace and CSI kicked my brain into over drive and I started to worry.

What if something terrible happened? Surely not, I told myself. She just stayed the night at a friends.

But maybe not. Maybe her phone had died and she'd left her keys somewhere and couldn't call me and had to spend the night on the stoop of our apartment or walk around to find a hotel for the night. Except she just moved to my side of the river and wouldn't know there's a Best Western right down the street.

Don't worry, I was just getting started.

I might, sometimes, be one of those worst case scenario people, and I began to wonder if maybe she'd been in some sort of accident or mugging and her phone was broken or stolen. And in the age of cell phones, no one knows anyone's number. So at the hospital, she would probably only be able to call her parents home in California and they would have to somehow relay the information to us back here on the East Coast. Probably via Facebook. Which could take a long time if she was unconscious for awhile at the hospital. . .


Or maybe she'd been kidnapped!


What happens if no one hears from her in the next several hours. How do you file a missing persons report? Do you call 911? Do they listen to you or do they just assume you're a crazy, overzealous roommate who needs to take a chill pill and wait for a text back?

Luckily, this only went on for about 15 minutes. Roughly the time it took Jenna to text me back and tell me she was fine. Obviously.  Like I was worried she wasn't. 
hahah, hah. hah. 
She's alive (and so pretty)!







1 comment:

  1. Hahaha. Katy, I love your writing. I can always count on you to make my day a little bit brighter.

    ReplyDelete