Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Hot Tub Time Machine


Do you ever have those surreal moments where you realize you've become the person you were intimidated by and in awe of  when you were a teenager?

This weekend these stunning girls and I went on a little trip to NH.
We were staying at a major ski destination but, as is the theme of my life, weren't actually doing any winter sports (well, one of us was running a hockey tournament, but obviously not me. . .)

One of the nights we were there we decided to take advantage of the not so frigid temps and have a lounge in the hot tub on the grounds of our hotel. 

Upon our arrival, only one older man and his kids were outside and before long we had the hot tub all to ourselves and settled down for a relaxing soak. Enter: a hoard of screaming, cannonballing, lively 11-15 year olds. We were staying in a condo hotel, so people go there for winter weekends. . .and bring along their kids. As the ladies and I chilled out in the water, we were soon joined by a scantily clad group of 14ish year old looking girls. Perhaps we should have welcomed them with open arms, asked about their weekends and generally been sweet but. . .we sort of just went about our conversation.

Frankly, we were a little surprised by their boldness. When I was 14, no way would I have hopped into a hot tub with a bunch of twenty something women. I would have been too scared.

The girls didn't do much talking, and based on their heads ping ponging back and forth were mostly listening intently to our conversation (duh, we're so cool). Then, shortly after climbing, in they quickly made their way back out.

It's just so funny to think back to the times I'd be on vacation with my family. I'd see these older girls on vacation talking and laughing together. They seemed so old and cool. I wanted to be like them so badly I could taste it; yet, it seemed like I would always be an insecure, pimply teen. Here we are a decade or so later, and it seems I've arrived. At least, I think that's what it means when you scare of a bunch tweens from the hot tub. Right??


I'll take that as a yes.

Although. . .shortly after the girls departed, we were joined by an even more fearless gaggle of tween boys. Not sure where I've arrived to in that scenario. . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment