Monday, February 13, 2012

Lyle flips the bird


For several months in the morning, I've taken the same train to work as this one particular man. I first noticed him in the summer time, when I think he first began coming to my stop.

As the T approaches, he charges down the narrow strip of sidewalk, brushing people out of the way in his attempt to be the first person on. I'm always a little afraid that he's going to accidentally pitch someone onto the tracks right as the train approaches.

He's a few inches shorter than my 5'6" and always wears the same grey slacks, sneakers, black coat, and black jansport backpack slung low down his back. Looking to be in his late 40's, his hair is white and he has a very ruddy face pocked with adult acne. For reasons even I can't pin point I've come to think of him as "Lyle".

Lyle has several tactics for being first on the train, or if not first, at least the one to get that last available seat. As I've mentioned, his first approach: Brute force. Elbowing and pushing people out of the way. His other tactic includes charging to the front of the line, tapping his card and then sprinting down to an open door in the back , where there are more likely available seats. And perhaps, most hilarious, when he does get on the train, it's a 20 yard dash down the train aisle wildely careening toward a seat.

I haven't quite concluding if this is his sole goal, given that sometimes he'll run past an open seat up front. Once he's booked to the back, however, I'll see that no seats were open and he'll be standing in one of the coveted stairwell spots that allow for more relaxed and hands free standing.

Today was the crowning glory in all of these chaotic moments. As the three car train approached he pulled his usual moves, bullying others out of the way as he paced between the 5 feet or so where the front doors might stop. Slowly, though, the trolley inched by, not stopping and finally sped past our stop (this happens all too frequently when the train has gone "express" past our stop). As the second car rolled past, Lyle flipped off the T.  The entire time that it was rolling past us.

I have never mentally laughed so hard in my life. Oh Lyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment