Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Play Ball!

Last night I joined my city in watching America's greatest pastime.
A few weeks ago, you may remember a certain post railing against the Red Sox and my dislike for them disrupting my evening commute. And, if you'd asked me 2 weeks ago, I'd have confirmed that there was no way I'd ever go to a baseball game.

E and her Fenway Frank!
Then, last week, a friend was given free tickets to last nights game against Detroit. Neither of us were baseball fans so we figured that made us the perfect companions to hit up Fenway and see what all the excitement was about: Also, let's revisit the word, "Free".

On the advice of a die hard fan, we arrived a little early to enjoy the full effect, and loved the pregame atmosphere. The music, the people watching, and the smell of cheap food was intoxicating! Then, the anthem was played, the first pitches were thrown out, and the first inning started. I was really into it for about one batter, then I started to think, "Wow. . .so there are nine of these? I wonder how long that takes?"

Fenway, though, seemed determined not to disappoint. About 15 minutes into the game, a woman in my row passed out or had some medical emergency which involved a dozen Fenway staff and police officers charging through our aisle for an intervention. 

I snuck this shot of our plumber pals around beer 7 
We were joined by two hilarious middle aged plumbers who each had about 12 beers (although  they kept buying 2 at a time and spilling their second one) and bags of peanuts. At one point they spilled beer all down our seats while we were off getting soft serve. We didn't know so my purse, pants, and cardigan all were soaked and had that lovely cheap beer smell the rest of the night! I also keep finding peanut shells in my purse. . .

They turned out to be very nice, though and one of them did invite us to go drinking after the game. Their comments, drunken throat clearing, and camaraderie with everyone around them was probably the highlight of the night!



As if the drunk plumbers weren't enough, Fenway threw in one last bonus and we got to watch what happens during a rain delay. At the bottom of the eighth (look at that use of baseball terminology! Also, I can't remember if it really was the bottom. . .) it suddenly started pouring. It was pretty fascinating to watch the facilities people swarm the field in their red shirts and khaki shorts and get it done. They looked like little worker ants on a mission!

We waiting it out, determined to see every minute of the game, and I have to say it was quite a fulfilling evening! I may never make it back inside those hallowed gates, but I think my first Sox game was a success!


No comments:

Post a Comment