Friday, August 5, 2011

One Year Down

This week has marked the one year anniversary of my move to Boston (to the day on Wednesday!). And what a different week it has been-comparatively.

A year ago, I was plopped down into my apartment in the middle of the city (or Western edge as it were) with no job, no idea what I had gotten myself into and a small fear growing that maybe I had made the wrong decision. I'm a small town girl, born and raised, went to college in a small town that I loved and remained in after graduation, but suddenly found myself thrust into the bustle and traffic of Boston. 

It has been kind of fun that Boston has been experiencing so many crazy adventures for itself with me. This fair city has seen the toughest winter in many years with record snow fall, the Bruins break a 39 year hiatus as Stanley cup champs, the second hottest day in 85 years, among other phenomena that have this old city abuzz. I can't help but connect the dots here. . .I move to town and suddenly so many whacky things are happening. Coincidence? Umm, please.

Of course, it would seem that some things remain the same. I'm still terrible at parallel parking, which might be due to the fact that I avoid it like the plague and would rather walk an extra 10 minutes than try and park closer in a tight spot with people in traffic watching me make a fool of myself. I still know embarrassingly little about the Red Sox. Maybe, under some pressure, I could rattle off a name of a player, but I have no clue if they're any good or not (also once before I tried this only to learn the player was a much hated Yankee's player and that's why his name sounded familiar). And I still miss the quiet, peacefulness of the country (with not so many horn happy drivers, bleck.).

I've come a long way, though, from though first few days here in Boston, and have built a place for myself here for the time being. So much has changed and happened this year, I can only wonder what Boston year 2 will bring.

Who knows? In another year, I might actually be able to parallel park!
 
 

2 comments: