Monday, July 25, 2011

Heat Wave

You may have noticed I took a sudden and unannounced hiatus from blogging last week. It was a fun and crazy summer week and I really didn't have the time for everything, so blog posts got the ax.

And when I say fun and crazy, what I mostly mean is that Boston was experience a little bit of the heatwave that's been hitting our country hard. I can't really say I minded so much, as it's summer and what else is it supposed to do but get hot out? 

Friday, however, was so historically steamy I don't know how we all survived. In fact, topping the thermometer at 103, it tied for the second hottest day in Boston which occurred exactly 85 years ago to date.

The day began deceivingly cool actually, I'm pretty sure I was even wearing a cardigan on the way to the T. Hopping from there to my arctic work, I didn't realize just how hot it had gotten until my lunch companions and I stepped outside around 1pm. Right when the temperature was hitting 100. Yikes! 

It was on this scorching day that the most ridiculous moment in my week occurred. The afternoon finally wound down and finally 5 o'clock arrived (4:50). I bolted, bags in hand, to the train station, and within minutes of being out in the heat, had a stomach ache, and wasn't feeling so great. I arrived at the platform and reached in my bag to grab my iPod for the ride home. My hands searched every pocket of my purse but came up empty. "Dang!," I thought as I realized I'd left it charging under my desk at work. 

I stood for several moments, warring with myself on what was the better option. Dealing with no iPod for the weekend, or trudging back to the office (the whole 5 minute walk) and have it for my weekend activities. Finally, I decided it was imperative, and dragged myself back through the heat to the office. The elevator dinged and I popped out into my office's lobby.

I went to take out my fob to head into the inner office and retrieve my iPod. 

You guessed it. No fob

In a move I blame solely on the insane heat, I stomped my foot in a display of 5 year old frustration, and stood stared forlornly at the door for a few minutes wishing for someone to come by and open it. Alas, it was Friday at 5:10 and wasn't nobody still in that office!

Resigning myself to an iPod and fobless free weekend, I retraced my steps back into the muggy evening and got on a train headed home. And then was late for my evening plans because of the whole fiasco.

And then in a move alarming reminiscent of Friday, I sped out of work today to find, for the second day in a row, my fob was left forgotten somewhere on my desk (I've never forgotten it before these two days). 

I think the heat melted my brain a little bit. 








No comments:

Post a Comment