Sunday, February 3, 2013

KatyInTheKitchen: Avocado Chocolate Chip Cookies

Not long ago (I can't remember quite when) I heard some rumblings around the internet world about avocado chocolate chip cookies. The avocado is used to replace the butter and oil in chocolate chip cookies, which reduces the calories and adds all the health benefits of that creamy, lovely little berry we call avocado. While at the grocery store last week, avocados were on sale and I grabbed one on a whim. After a few days of it sitting in my fruit stand, I knew I'd need to use it up, and these cookies popped into my mind. Perfect!

Admittedly, these are not quite the same as their full fat, full butter predecessors, but they have a slightly sweet, spongy, moist quality all their own that is so. addictive. And with only about 84 calories (in my version) compared to the 240 of a "regular" chocolate chip cookie, it's easy to convince myself that these are basically healthy and it's definitely fine to eat just one more.




Ingredients: 
1 cup whole wheat flour 
1 tsp baking soda 
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 bag chocolate chip minis
1/2 cup avocado (approximately one avocado) 
1/2 cup sugar
1 Egg
1 tsp vanilla extract



To make (24 cookies):

              Remove avocado from skin and place it in a deep bowl. Also, add sugar. 
              Mix on high speed until you have a smooth mixture. 
              Add egg and vanilla extract. 
             When that’s all mixed, add baking soda, flour and salt.
             Mix everything on high speed until it’s all blended properly.
             Add chocolate chips and mix with a spoon.
             Place it on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 15-18 minutes at 290 degrees . (I didn't use parchment paper and just loosened them after a few minutes and it was fine. 

Recipe and nutritional info adapted from this post


These aren't much to look at, I know. Blame the whole wheat flour and baked avocado for that. Still, give 'em a try. And let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment