Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Seriously

I'm feeling a bit nervous as I write this post, and it's rather strange to me.

A deep breath, and here goes.

New Years resolutions are not really my thing. You may have noticed them absent from my retrospective on the previous year, yesterday. I find that most people don't actually keep or think about their resolutions much longer than it takes to make them. I read in a magazine the other day that most people have given up their resolve by January 10th. That is less than two weeks after making those grand statements. 

Still, there is one thing that's been on my mind for awhile and the promise of a new year had caused me to commit to it, which makes me nervous.

When I started this blog, it was with the viewpoint of sharing my life with a bit of humor. My life at the time was a regular barrel of laughs what with working for the crazy Writer, and so this little place to write my thoughts morphed into mostly a place where I only share the "funny" bits of life. As time has gone on however, I often find myself thinking about serious topics. I've refrained from blogging about them, however, because honestly I think I was scared.

Scared that people would stop reading because it wasn't funny. Or scared that my words just wouldn't be eloquent enough for solemn topics. Mostly, though, I think scared because putting hard or scary or sad thoughts down is a lot harder than making light of the time there was a mouse stuck in your bathtub at one AM and you ended up drowning it because it seemed like the best idea at the time. . .

I've decided that there's no room for that fear anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'll still be writing those funny moments down. It gives me such joy! But don't be surprised to find a serious thought or two around here. Because I'm a person that's about more than making people laugh, and I want to share those parts of me, too.

And it case you wondered, KatyInTheKitchen will be around too! You wouldn't know from my posts, lately, but I've been in the kitchen quite a lot these last few months and, as luck would have it, I've got the most divine new discovery to share with you all tomorrow!

I'm not calling this a resolution, lest it fall by the wayside in the next nine days. I'll just call it opening another door for myself, and see where it goes!

Oh, and because I forgot to say yesterday. Happy New Year all! 
I pray 2013 is good to you. 


1 comment:

  1. Katy,
    I'm a fan of your writing style along with the substance, so if you decide to get serious I'm confident that you'll express yourself with eloquence. I understand the feeling that comes with wanting to write something heavy. You consider how the people will respond, and it makes you feel vulnerable. Getting serious for a moment takes courage.
    I've had my own struggles with the tone and content of my blog. If you look at the past few months you'll see, along with a severe drought of entries, a shift to the light and fluffy. Compost, flowers, ornaments, silly theories, The Simpsons, and it's all very safe. I had to deal with some personal controversy over some of my entries and I chose to retreat. But because of that I'm not writing nearly as much and I'm not having nearly as much fun. Sooner or later I'll need to write about "real" things again because those are the things that I'm passionate about.

    If you are brave and honest your writing will have value, even if it can't be measured in laughs or likes.

    ReplyDelete