Saturday, October 13, 2012

Lonesome Dreams


If there is one thing I have loved from an early age, it is music. My mother could tell you tales about how particular I was about the order of songs she sang for me, or how long and detailed my renditions of "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands" could be.  

This same intense connection to music hasn't changed as I've gotten older, and I'm always searching for new and powerful music. Good music.  I want music to make my heart beat fast and slow and not at all for just a few moments. My lips should swell in an unquenchable smile from the unending joy of beautiful sounds joining together. I've only felt this sort of musical exultance once or twice.  Last night, as my friends and I shuffle danced our way through song after song, I felt it. 

This Thursday, two friends and I went to see the band Lord Huron just a mere 2 days after their first full length album was released. It is a true sound treasure. NPR describes it as a mash up of the cavernous choruses colliding with the polyrhythmic playfulness
Everything about the evening was perfect. The venue, a smallish dive bar a few minutes walk from my place. The opening act was sassy, sultry, and not half bad. And, when well after my weeknight bed time, Lord Huron stepped on stage, it was like I had entered an alternate universe.  And the best part? As joyful as their music makes me, the members of the band seemed to take just as much joy from it. More than once, I caught a happy grin spreading across the faces of the band members. They danced and smirked and sang their way through the night enjoying the making of their music as much as I did. I loved it.

Alas, once the dream haze of the show ended it became clear that my transcendent experience was over. I came crashing back to earth just in time to have the bassist and electric guitarist appear to our left. My friend Nicole wasted no time in greeting Miguel, the bassist and sharing our pleasure over their performance. He was sweet and lively and grateful  Shaking hands and taking our names. She was warm and friendly and encouraging, complimenting him and his band mates on a job well done.  

Oh, what about me, you ask? 

I crept around the edges of the conversation like the socially awkward thirteen year old I sometimes am. I tried to look encouraging and enthusiastic. I daresay, I might have looked more like a deranged creepster pretending to be part of the group. Lord, help me.

A few minutes later, as we chatted up another band member, our friend Nate joined us, greeting Tom like an old friend, amiably asking him about his life and times. You know.

I kept up the awkward lingering, I'm nothing if not consistent, folks.

Nonetheless, as we said our final goodbyes to the band and headed out the door we got a lovely surprise  I made my pals stop for a little photo shoot in front of the chalkboard where Lord Huron's performance was hastily advertised. Miguel happened to be stepping outside and cheerfully jumped in with them for a photo of his own accord! Whataguy! I'm glad he was unphased by my creepster tendencies, what a great memory this photo makes for!

and here are some other highlights from the evening:





1 comment:

  1. What a night! Thank you for reminding me of our first musical adventure together :) You are not a creeper, not in the least. You totally nodded your head in agreement when asked if you knew about the NPR pillow thing. A creeper would have just stared.

    ReplyDelete