Monday, April 23, 2012

and then I went camping

Sleeping on the cold ground, communing with nature, and roasting things over an open fire. I think we can all agree, these sounds like the makings of a dream weekend for me here at KatyDidWhat. Right?
(For those of you laughing raucously right now, I'll have you know that I spent a good part of my summers as a child camping in both the U.S. and Canada. . .)

That's exactly how I spent this weekend and, despite some pointed jokes about my choice of footwear, I hope my camping mates would agree that I'm not actually as big a diva as one might assume.

The ladies!
On Saturday we headed to a couple nearby towns for some antique browsing, beach walking and food. After a stop at the Oldies Marketplace (a.k.a. giant vintage barn) where one of us may or may not have accidentally broken something, we headed over to the little beach side town of Salisbury. From the moment we stepped out of the car I had such a strange vibe about the place. Maybe it was the gentlemen's club we were parked across from or the fact that a quarter only bought you 10 minutes on the meter, but something was just a little off about the town.

We were looking for somewhere to eat and settled on a little place called Hobo's Cafe & Lounge that was open. Hobo's turned out to be a sort of combo gay bar/beach side restaurant/jukebox dive complete with an actual hobo holding court on the patio with only some nude colored shorts and his beard for clothing.
Ben, Brianna, and Sarah enjoying Hobo's

As if this weren't strange enough, after downing some enormous burgers (on the men's part) and some fish and chips (ladies) we strolled around taking in the strange boardwalk attractions including an infinitely creepy place called Joe's Playland, some weird castle building and an exorbitant amount of little pizza walk-ups.
Clearly, also known as "Pedophile Playland"
I can't pin down what was so entirely strange about this town, but I believe some of us agreed it felt a bit like the setting of a cheesy slasher movie (which would likely involve us all running from a crazed hobo only to take refuge in Joe's Playland where we'd be picked off one by one. The hobo would be wearing a clown mask based on the above photo. I hope I'd be the first to go. . .)

 Creepy beachside town notwithstanding, I have to say that this was a glorious camping trip. I even learned that sleeping pads have very little do to with keeping you comfortable and more to do with protecting you from the cold ground. Who knew?? (Actually, everyone except me. . .)
My people: Ben, Sarah, Joel, Brianna, and Jenna





No comments:

Post a Comment